Dorset Community Energy hope to build a small ground-mounted solar array by the reservoir at Dottery. We plan to submit a planning application in June 2022. If successful, we hope to build the array in 2023.
Funding for the build will be raised via a community share offer, open to anyone living in Dorset.
We plan to make the electricity generated by the Dottery solar array available to local residents via an Energy Local Club. Energy Local Clubs offer a model for creating local energy markets. They allow members to buy cheaper electricity direct from local renewable energy installations, whilst also enabling renewable generators to earn slightly more for their power. Read more about Energy Local Clubs and our Energy Local Bridport pilot scheme.
Residents living close to the array will have the option to join an Energy Local Club and buy cheaper electricity from the solar array when it is generating. You don’t need to be a member of Dorset Community Energy to join the Energy Local Club.
Benefits of the scheme:
- Cheaper electricity for up to to 200 households in the Bridport area via an Energy Local Club
- Savings of around 62 tonnes of CO2e per year
- Investment opportunity for Dorset residents
What are the plans?
- A 250kW solar PV array in the field to the north of the Wessex Water reservoir, by the crossing of Pymore Lane and Dottery Road.
- The site area less than 1.2 acres, much smaller than most solar farms. The size has been chosen to minimise the impact on the landscape and ecology.
- The site will be screened from view, with native planting and design features to increase biodiversity.
Follow the link below to give your feedback regarding our proposed 250kW solar array installation in Dottery.
Alternatively, you can:
- Write to Dorset Community Energy, 33 Trent Drive, Wareham BH20 4DF
- Comment on the planning application online via the Dorset Council website once it has been submitted
- Speak to your Parish or Dorset Council Councillor